Today's guest is Marlena Johns, who is the founder and CEO of Laughz and Lyrics. They have a platform for artists to gather to eat, drink, and perform uplifting music, comedy and poetry that glues the community together. Marlena recently received a Congressional award for her activism, providing opportunities for black-owned businesses and working with criminal justice reform. She is the Houston organizer of 100,000 Poets for Change.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
• [10:22] Knowing your why and having it crystalized is very important.
• [10:37] Dealing with business challenges.
• [10:50] Planning.
• [11:22] Goal setting
• [11:33] Encourage yourself every time you make progress.
• [11:43] Keep moving forward
• [12:00] You have to have a passion for what you do. You have to be authentic; you can't be trying to be someone else.
• [12:07] In business you have to know what makes you tick and what you have to offer. • [13:22] Work on your craft, you have to practice.
• [13:47] Marlena's favorite business book: The E-myth revisited. https://amzn.to/2R5D2s7
• [14:18] Marlena's favorite tools(software): Wix and Everlance.
Links Mentioned in Today's Episode: Facebook: Zen Ase poetry, Zen Ase
Instagram: @zenasepoetry @zennurgy
website: www.laughzandlyrics.com www.laughznlyricsmerch.com
Listen to the episode by clicking below - 17 minutes